Friday, April 12, 2013

Upload with Shaquille O'Neal - TruTV

Upload with Shaquille O'Neal is a comedy/video show currently on TruTV. The show is seen Thursday nights at 10:30pm. The series premiered on February 21, 2013.

The Setup- Shaq with the help of buddies Godfrey and Gary Owen show funny videos, pranks, and skits. Think Ridiculousness and almost any other lets laugh at videos show. Each show features a guest and usually has Shaq pranking Gary at some point.

What I love about it- I'm a sucker for watching people hurt themselves in stupid videos. I never tire of it. Shaq can be funny when he lets loose. Every time I  see Gary Owen all I can think of is the grosser than gross body shot scene in the movie College. The videos are fresh and funny but there are not enough of them. I feel like with a few tweaks this could be a good show.

What I hate about it- Shaq is in control here and be sure if Gary and Godfrey don't give him enough fake laughs he may use them as seat cushions. Gary and Godfrey often look they are amusing a professor in hopes of a good grade. The pranks are lame. Shaq makes Gary do the cinnamon challenge but surprise it's not the spice it's a 300lb African American woman named Cinnamon. Oh man you got me there Shaq.
The guests are atrocious. Aries Spears? Loni Love? Shaq doesn't have better friends to call in favors on? It feels like they created this show with twenty minutes notice. If Shaq and his buddies lightened up the show would flow more naturally.

3 out of 10 Couch Potatoes- There are a couple of small gems here but overall this is pretty lame. Shaq is funnier on the NBA pre-game show than he is here. If you like this kind of thing flip to Ridiculousness on MTV and see it done right. I'd like to pat myself on the back now for never comparing the show to a Shaq free throw oh wait I just did. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment