Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Exes- TV Land



The Exes is a thirty minute situation comedy produced by TV Land. It currently runs on Wednesday nights at 10:30 pm after Hot in Cleveland. Created by Mark Reisman it debuted on November 30, 2011. The show stars Kristen Johnston( 3rd Rock from the Sun), Donald Faison( Scrubs, Clueless), Wayne Knight (Jurassic Park, Seinfeld), David Alan Basche (United 93), and Kelly Stables(Two and a Half Men).

The Setup- Holly Franklin (Johnston) is a divorce lawyer who although not divorced herself is single and struggling to find a relationship that works. She helps three clients who  lose their homes in their divorces ( Faison, Knight, Basch) find an apartment together across the hall  from her in a trendy part of Manhattan. Faison plays Phil Chase a self absorbed sports agent with a soft side. Stuart Gardner played by Basche is the naive lovable dentist who is shocked to find himself divorced. Haskel Lutz(Knight) is your typical Knight character.  He's a little rude, a little crude, a little lazy, and very funny. Haskell sleeps all day and makes his money selling stuff on the internet.
Kelly Stables plays Eden, Holly's assistant. The show has four main sets. The guys apartment, Holly's apartment across the hall, the bar downstairs, and Holly's law office. The show centers around typical sitcom storylines for single people.

What I love about it- Right off the bat I wanted to love this show. Funny though I don't know why. None of the actors are personal favorites and I never was a sitcom guy. I skipped The Cosby Show when the whole world watched and I whined that my friends were funnier than anyone on Friends or Seinfeld. Yet here I was five minutes into what I will call ' The Vibrator Episode" wanting this show to succeed.This show just has that intangible thing that whispers "Watch Me".
 Johnston is the Sun here and everyone revolves around her. Any scene with the six foot tall Johnston and the five foot tall Stables bickering made me laugh out loud. The shows stars all have chemistry with Johnston.
The characters are all fun if not totally fleshed out and every actor here has learned how to hone their craft.I was surprised to find the show was a little edgy for TV Land. I never found myself bored or moaning about how dumb anything was which is unusual for me. When the writing matches the talent of the actors, magic happens. Zach Braff guest starred a closeted tennis pro who stays with the guys and falls for Stuart leading to one of the funniest sitcom scenes I have ever seen and yes I mean ever.

What I hate about it- There is absolutely nothing new here. Go back 50 years and replace the vibrator with Mr. Wilsons electric stamp licker and you get an episode of Dennis the Menace; There was the obligatory we can't get to the hospital so we have to deliver the baby episode and similar typical plot lines. Lots of potential and flashes of brilliance in what is a stew of old sitcoms all cooked together.

7.5 Couch potatoes out of 10- I hate that I copped out with the .5 but I did. This show is good not great, funny but not hysterical. The show is a lot like its characters, just back in the world and searching for some traction. Give The Exes a shot and take a risk on the heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment